DPP, "Transfer to Photoshop" : How to change Photoshop by another Software (the solution)

DPP, "Transfer to Photoshop" : How to change Photoshop by another Software (the solution)

Postby DPP++ » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:08 pm

DPP offers 2 ways to transfer a pic from DPP to another image processing software.

1. The first way is to use the batch process command which allows to convert a set of pics and then transfer them to the software of you choice, since the batch process tool has a button that allows you to browse and choose the software you want.
  2. The second way is to use the "Transfer to Photoshop" command from the "Tools" menu (or ALT-P). However this second way doesn't allow to choose another software than Photoshop.

In this topic, I will explain how to change (for the second way) Photoshop by GIMP and Photoshop Elements 2. But you can apply the same method for other softwares as well.
This solution requieres that you are familiar with manipulating the windows registery.

For Windows 64 bits Users
Under WIndows 64 bits, regkeys of 32 bits applications are stored under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\

So you have to perform the same following operations but use
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\

instead of
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

First
First, if the "Transfer to Photoshop" command is grayed, you have to do the following actions to activate this command :
  1. Open the windows registery by using the "regedit" program (open a shell window and type regedit).
  2. Create the following branch : HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{6DECC242-87EF-11cf-86B4-444553540000}\ProgID
  3. When this branch is created, you will get inside ProgID the following variable (or something like that as I have the french version of Windows) :
    (by default) REG_SZ (undefined value)
  4. Double-clic on (by default) and enter the following value : Photoshop.Application.12.1

How to change Photoshop by Photoshop Elements
  1. Open the folder where Photoshop Elements is installed (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2) and create a copy of the file "PhotoshopElements.exe".
  2. Rename the created copy to "Photoshop.exe".
  3. Open the windows registery by using the "regedit" program (open a shell window and type regedit).
  4. If the following branch doesn't exist in your registery, create it : [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop\12.0\]
  5. Inside the "12.0" branch, create a string value named "ApplicationPath" and give it as value the path of Photsoshop Elements ("C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2").
  6. Close regedit. That's all.
How to change Photoshop by GIMP
  1. Open the folder where the GIMP executable file is installed (in my case it's C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin) and create a copy of the GIMP executable file (in my case it's "gimp-2.6.exe").
  2. Rename the created copy to "Photoshop.exe".
  3. Open the windows registery by using the "regedit" program (open a shell window and type regedit).
  4. If the following branch doesn't exist in your registery, create it : [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Photoshop\12.0\]
  5. Inside the "12.0" branch, create a string value named "ApplicationPath" and give it as value the path of GIMP executable file (in my case it's "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\bin").
  6. Close regedit. That's all.

Be aware that this solution works only if you don't use Photoshop, because everytime you launch Photoshop it resets the defined variable to Photoshop's path.
However, if you want to use this solution it is probably because you don't use photoshop isn't it ? So this should not be a problem.
DPP++
Pushing DPP further
DPP++
Site Admin

Return to DPP++ in English